Pages

Popular Posts

Search This Blog

Saturday 29 May 2010

Bawdsey Beach part 2

Continuing with obstacles, there are a number of Dragon's Teeth present on the beach. These were basically large metal pointed spikes sunk into the beach at half tide level designed to rip the bottom of enemy invasion barges. No sign of any concrete blocks, as the remains of the ones I've already blogged on at Thorpeness so I am wondering if these were just pushed into the beach as they are. Also many concrete 'A' frames, of which I have no idea what they were for!
Photo 1: Dragon's Tooth
Photo 2: Sketchup showing measurements
Photo 3: Concrete 'A' frame, purpose unknown
Photo 4: Measurements of 'A' Frame










































3 comments:

  1. Hi, regarding those 'A Frames' I think they were part of the sea defences, here's a photo https://flic.kr/p/2hogcov they had a chain running through the centre, then were stretched across the beach. Hope this helps !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, subsequently I have also come to the same conclusion. One early lesson I have learnt is that not all concrete is WW2!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To true ! Love your work fella, I use you a lot for reference. If you use Flickr you can find me under "Defend & Attack" hope to hear from you soon !

      Delete