A beautiful frosty morning saw us heading into Bienvillers for the daily baguette. We took the opportunity to visit the military cemetery and some new concrete which we had not seen before. Bienvillers Military Cemetery was started in September 1915 by the 37th Division, then used by other divisions in the line. It records 1,567 UK,25 Australian, nine New Zealand, three Canadian one South African and one German burial.It was about two miles behind the front line opposite Gommecourt on the opening of the battle of the Somme. Many of the burials are from the Ancre fighting.
The concrete pillbox is an artillery observation post of the standard Third Army pattern, probably constructed in the summer of 1918 following the German Spring Offensives.