Pages

Popular Posts

Search This Blog

Saturday 12 June 2010

Bawdsey Radar

Probably not the most sensible thing I've done, going down into the underground reserve transmitter block. As with any derelict or old military structure you should take great care - sensible guidelines can be found on the Derelict  Places website. Any site I've posted on this blog should not be assumed safe! I came across the entrance by pure chance and could not resist a look. Cannot believe it has not been properly sealed. 
Anyway, climbing down, met with an unpleasant smell and a swarm of flies (hanging around the many dead rabbits that had fallen down!). As the pics shows, nothing remains in the underground chamber except what I assume is the part of the ventilation unit. Interestingly, the surface air shafts seem to be quite a distance away from  the space I visualised the underground bunker to occupy. There were no other doors inside that I saw, so I do not know if the sunken reserve transmitter block actually occupies a wider area than I explored. A second sunken bunker can be found further south, but thankfully no access to this!
Photo 1: Main ground entrance - consists of two concrete slabs on small rails (presumably one for equipment access and one for people access).
Photo 2: Ventilation shafts
Photo 3: Presumably secondary / emergency access or exit (the gloves are not mine!)
Photo 4: Shaft from secondary entrance to underground bunker
Photo 5 & 6: Main room of underground bunker
Photo 7 & 8: Stairs for main entrance
Photo 9: Presumably the remains of the ventilation unit

















































































































2 comments:

  1. So i was searching on google today looking for photos of Bawdsey beach to show my friend how beautiful the beach is as they don't live around here. I came across your blog. . .

    We used to walk my dog over the beach when i was a kid, and so many times we would climb through the fence and look down into the tunnels that run under the ground and wonder where they go and what they were for and why on earth they were not sealed properly?! So many times i wished i took a torch with me or had the guts to go down!! This is brilliant and dead interesting and super sensible but i'm glad to know what is inside.

    Maybe i'll go down there at the weekend? How rusty were the stairs? Really dangerous?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you found the blog interesting and hopefully it satisfied your curiosity! As I said in the post it was not the most sensible thing I've done. I did not go down by the stairs they certainly WERE NOT SAFE!! I repeat the following from the post:Any site I've posted on this blog should not be assumed safe!

    ReplyDelete