These photos show the only remaining anti-tank cubes of Southwold's Defences. They would have prevented tank access across the marshes just N of Buss Creek. 29 remain and are a 42"x42"x42" cube with 66" spacing. Use has been made of a plentiful resource in Suffolk - shingle!
Southwold Lighthouse was one of the observation posts of 174 Battery, 56th Medium Regt (and presumably of 327 Coast Battery when it moved location from the beach ('The Denes') near the River Blyth Estuary to Gun Hill). The photo of the beach shows the original location of 327 Battery. The beach was protected with Dragons Teeth, anti-tank cubes and Z1 Scaffolding and would have been swept with fire from two Vickers mg, 1 Hotchkiss and 1 Bren from "A" Company, 7th Royal Sussex, the front line battalion in 1941.