Welcome to this blog which is intended to accompany a website on how Suffolk was defended during the Second War. The blog will describe my trips out and about looking for the remains of the Second War defences while the Website will concentrate on putting these into context.

Popular Posts

Search This Blog

Monday, 9 November 2009








Westleton Walks
On my last post, I said the destroyed concrete structures resembled no known pillboxes - that's because they are a concrete trench/weapons pit's.
They seem to be constructed over an excavated pit, the spoil used to form a parapet on the main open embrasure. The roof is a massive two foot of concrete. They are reinforced with metal rods and a wire mesh. The roof is covered with turf, to camouflage the structures from aerial observation.  Enough remains of two of the structures to produce these plans, of what I think they would have looked like (although as the plans show I'm no architect!!). In total there are six structures, three of which I think were identical, two in such bad condition nothing can be ascertained from them, and one which seems larger than the one described, is reinforced with RSJ's but probably is in too bad condition to determine a plan (although have not tried yet). In Mike Osbourne's book 'Pillboxes in Britain and Ireland' a plan of a similar shaped structure, although much larger was said to be for housing 4.5" howitzers in the Lowestoft area. Although these are clearly infantry structures, perhaps they were constructed along the same basis. About a yr ago, when asking for info on these on the PSG website, I got a reply (from AJ Ruddy I think) about concrete trenches being present also in the Walbleswick area. Although I have stated in the past I think the structures at W.Walks are mainly training, I am beginning to change my mind. I thought they were training due to the shear number of earthworks, also the whole area was certainly a firing range judging from the number of unexploded 2" mortars, shell shards and fired 303 cartridges. However the more I look at these structures, the more apparent it is becoming of the field of fire they had over the anti-tank ditch and track alongside the ditch. It has also occured to me that some of the earth works could be dummy positions????? If only I could get a grid ref of a platoon/company locality for this area! Oh, and the pencil in the plan photo's - just to get a focus lock for the camera!

3 comments:

  1. hello

    is this the area of Westleton walks that is closed off throughout most of the summer ?

    any help would be greatly appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi
    No they are on the open area, easy to find alongside the main path towards Dunwich Heath. Things have moved on since this post - they are definitely for training - more on this on later posts hopefully.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for your help, i look forward too reading more in further posts.

    ReplyDelete